Hello!
Hello! I'm finally dipping my toes into the blogging world. My goal is to really just talk about what I've been reading because let's be honest, I could talk to a wall about books, which is probably pretty accurate description of what's happening right now.
So, what have I been reading? Well, I just finished the Harry Potter series (so late to that game, I know) and I absolutely LOVED it, but particularly the last two books. I'm sure a million people have discussed J.K. Rowling's writing, but I have to add my two cents. I really enjoyed the progression through the seven books. Harry, Ron and Hermione really grew up through the books and so did their friendship and everything from their dialogue to the story line reflected that maturity. This is an aspect of the larger story that I really enjoyed. So, yes, I'm way late to the Harry Potter party, but I'm so glad that I finished the series. It deserves all the hype and adoration.
Since I finished Harry Potter, I read Front Desk, which I really enjoyed. It was definitely a book that helped me better understand one perspective of the immigrant experience. Their dream to come to America for a better life, seems distant as the day to day challenges of being an immigrant. Mia and her mom and dad move to Los Angeles from China with $200 and end up managing the motel near Disneyland for a horrible owner. Her parents struggle to make a living, but worry they will not find another place of employment. Meanwhile, Mia struggles to fit in at school. Mia longs to be a writer, but doubts her ability to because she is not a native English speaker, but as she puts pen to paper, and her words have positive impact, she gains the confidence to dream bigger. I loved Mia, the main character - she was thoughtful and determined, and I really enjoyed reading her story. Last but not least, don't miss author Kelly Yang's inspiration for the this book at the back of the book - very much worth the short read.
Lastly, I read All Summer Long. An enjoyable graphic novel about two friends growing up, and struggling to navigate their differences and the future of their friendship. I read this one quickly, and I liked it. Graphic novels are not a format I regularly gravitate toward, but I do enjoy reading them once I start.
Next up? Some teacher books. I'm always trying to up my craft, and of course, some YA. Until then, Happy Reading!
Comments
Post a Comment